Volume 3, Issue 3 And 4 (18 2008)                   irje 2008, 3(3 And 4): 45-53 | Back to browse issues page

XML Persian Abstract Print

Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Khabazkhoob M, Fotouhi A, Majdi M, Moradi A, Javaherforoshzadeh A, Haeri Kermani Z et al . Prevalence of Exclusive Breastfeeding in Health Center Mashhad, 2007 . irje 2008; 3 (3 and 4) :45-53
URL: http://irje.tums.ac.ir/article-1-161-en.html
Abstract:   (24690 Views)
Background & Objectives: Exclusive breast-feeding during the first 6 months of life is the best type of nutrition for the infants in terms of fulfilling their its physical and emotional needs. The incidence of many kinds of infection decreases with breast-feeding. The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of exclusive breast-feeding infants aged less than 6 months in Mash'had and to look at some factors that affect breastfeeding.
Methods: This population-based survey used a stratified cluster sampling method to draw 30 clusters containing a total of 1450 infants aged 7-12 months. Data collection was performed using both questionnaires and interviews with mothers. Exclusive breast-feeding was defined as nursing through the first 6 months of life without any other food intake except drugs and vitamin supplements.
Results: The study achieved a response rate of 87.4% in mothers 51.2% of the infants were male and the remaining 48.8% (618) were female. The overall prevalence of exclusive breast-feeding during the first 6 months was 56.4% with (95% CI: 49.7%-63.2%). The figure was 57.2% (95% CI: 49.9%-64.4%) for boys and 55.7% (95% CI: 48.7%-62.6%) for girls. In this survey, 91.7% of the infants (95% CI: 88.7%–94.7%) had received breast-feeding immediately after birth. In multiple logistic regression analysis, the mother's age, her awareness of the adequacy of her milk, and advice from others to use formulas were the factors that had a significant relationship with breast-feeding in the first 6 months.
Conclusions: Almost 43% of infants had received alternative nutrition such as family food or formula. Considering the important effect of breast-feeding, provision of educational programs by the Health Ministry to raise the mothers' awareness of breast feeding can be a priority in children's health.
Full-Text [PDF 232 kb]   (8291 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Research | Subject: General
Received: 2007/12/22 | Accepted: 2008/03/3 | Published: 2013/09/7

Rights and permissions
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

© 2023 , Tehran University of Medical Sciences, CC BY-NC 4.0

Designed & Developed by : Yektaweb