Volume 3, Issue 3 And 4 (18 2008)                   irje 2008, 3(3 And 4): 55-60 | Back to browse issues page

XML Persian Abstract Print

Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Pouransary Z, Sheikh Z, Eshrati B, Kamali P. Prevalence of Contraceptive Use and the Importance of the Husband's Cooperation in Married Women in Iranshahr, 2005. irje 2008; 3 (3 and 4) :55-60
URL: http://irje.tums.ac.ir/article-1-162-en.html
Abstract:   (15151 Views)
Background & Objectives: Men (husbands) play a very important role in family planning programs, especially in developing countries. The objective of this study was to determine the prevalence of different methods of contraception in women of reproductive age in Iranshahr in 2004-2005 and the extent of their husbands' participation in family planning.
Methods: This was a cross-sectional study focused on women who were married but not pregnant at the time of the research. We used multi-stage cluster sampling and a pre-tested questionnaire to record the method of contraception and to see if the husband was actually participating in family planning. We used the SPSS (13th version) software to calculated measures of location and dispersion.
Results: The total sample of 700 married women in the (10-49y) age group included 400 subjects in rural areas and 300 in cities. Of these, 696 agreed to take part in the research. Overall, 65.5% of these women were using at least one form of contraception the remaining 34.5% did not use any contraceptive methods. The percentage of unwanted pregnancies was estimated at 16%. The mean number of pregnancies was 7, with a median of 4.5. Sixty-three percent of the subjects reported good cooperation by their husbands. Logistic regression analysis showed that the probability of using contraception was significantly related to the husband's cooperation.
Conclusions: Our results underline the importance of men's support and cooperation in the success of family planning efforts.
Full-Text [PDF 202 kb]   (4525 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Research | Subject: General
Received: 2007/10/6 | Accepted: 2008/03/15 | Published: 2013/09/7

Rights and permissions
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.

© 2023 , Tehran University of Medical Sciences, CC BY-NC 4.0

Designed & Developed by : Yektaweb